The GEF Assembly
The Sixth GEF Assembly and Associated Meetings will take place at the Furama International Conference Center in Da Nang, Vietnam, from June 23-29, 2018.
The GEF Assembly is the governing body of the GEF and is composed of all 183 member countries. It meets every four years at the ministerial level to review general policies; review and evaluate the GEF’s operation based on reports submitted to Council; review the membership of the Facility; and consider, for approval by consensus, amendments to the Instrument for the Establishment of the Restructured Global Environment Facility on the basis of recommendations by the GEF Council (read more on the GEF Partnership).
In the same week other events will take place:
- 54th GEF Council Meeting
NB: Access to Council meetings is restricted but the event is web streamed on the GEF website.
- GEF Scientific and Technical Advisory Panel Meeting
- Civil society organizations (CSOs) Forum – The forum provides a platform for CSOs and other stakeholders to dialogue on issues relating to global environment and the future of the GEF; to showcase and foster mutual learning of civil society innovations in safeguarding the global environment; to formulate specific recommendations related to enhancing CSO engagement in the GEF.
- NB: The Forum will have simultaneous translation to English, French, and Spanish – for the plenary
- Summary of the CSOs Forum at the Fifth Assembly of the GEF
About the Global Environment Facility
Today, the GEF is an international partnership of 183 countries, international institutions, civil society organizations and the private sector that addresses global environmental issues. Since 1991, GEF has achieved a strong track record with developing countries and countries with economies in transition, providing over $17 billion in grants and mobilized an additional $88 billion in financing for more than 4000 projects in 170 countries.
Through its Small Grants Programme (SGP) the GEF has invested $450 million and leveraged similar levels of co financing supporting over 14,500 community based projects in over 125 countries.
Over the past 25 years, the GEF has supported a range of notable achievements:
- Creation of more than 3,300 protected areas covering 860 million hectares, an area larger than Brazil.
- Conservation-friendly management of more than 352 million hectares of productive landscapes and seascapes
- 790 climate change mitigation projects contributing to 2.7 billion tonnes of GHG emission reductions.
- Sustainable management of 34 transboundary river basins in 73 countries.
- Improved cooperation and governance of one-third of the world’s large marine ecosystems.
- Sound management and disposal of 200,000 tons of highly toxic Persistent Organic Pollutants.
- Climate change adaptation to reduce the vulnerability of more than 15 million people in 130 countries.